Join the Pollinator Protection Squad!
Three years ago, we were part of a coalition to ban consumer pesticides containing bee-killing neonicotinoids (neonics) in Maryland. This law went into effect on January 1, 2018.
Unfortunately, many of our neighborhood stores are illegally selling these products. Store managers may be unaware that they are breaking the law by stocking these products. This is where people like you can help!
We need super volunteers to check out their local neighborhood stores and make sure that they are not selling these products. Here's what you can do to help:
- Visit 5 Neighborhood Stores
- Check ingredient lists of lawn care and home garden products
- Look for chemical names: imidicloprid, acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran, thiamethoxam, thiacloprid, nitenpyram, nithiazine
- Spot one? Take a picture of the banned product, on the shelf and a close up of the label.
- Report it to the store manager.
- File the report: email pictures, store name, and location to the MD Department of Agriculture Pesticide Regulations and the Central Maryland Beekeepers Assocation.
Sign up today to join the Pollinator Protection Squad and be our eyes out in the stores near you!