Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund seek an experienced Community Organizer for our Pittsburgh office. This role involves leading outreach and organizing efforts for local and state campaigns addressing health-related environmental issues in Pittsburgh and southwest PA. We are looking for a skilled organizer who can develop effective community engagement strategies to mobilize residents and drive successful issue campaigns. Candidates should have a passion for clean water, environmental justice, waste reduction, and community health. Experience in communities of color and lower-income areas is a plus, and the role involves addressing lead contamination, plastic pollution, and advocating for environmental justice policies at both state and local levels.
- Organize community-based campaigns for clean water, addressing lead hazards, eliminating plastics pollution and promoting environmental justice in western PA, helping residents address pollution problems that threaten their health;
- Represent Clean Water Action in coalitions and coalition activities.
- Assist in western PA on Clean Water Action's national and state campaigns;
- Assist in voter education efforts on environmental issues, and through Clean Water Action, help elect pro-environment candidates;
- Assist with media and public relations activities in western Pennsylvania;
- Assist in lobbying and other communication with legislators and agency staff;
- Assist with local fundraising activities, including events and individual donor work;
- Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses.
- Several years experience in issue organizing and/or electoral campaigns;
- Must have experience in planning and implementing campaign and community engagement strategies. Be prepared to tell us about your past wins;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working in communities of color and lower income communities highly preferred;
- Experience with canvass programs and/or environmental issues desirable;
- Encouraging applications from diverse backgrounds: We welcome candidates from multicultural and BIPOC communities to apply and contribute to our inclusive work environment.
- The position is hybrid and includes in-person work in both the Clean Water Action Pittsburgh office and in the Pittsburgh area.
Internal candidates should speak with their supervisor first before submitting an application.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund have implemented a policy mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all individuals working within our offices, as well as for those working remotely. As a condition of employment, all employees, regardless of their work location, are required to be vaccinated, or they must provide proof of a valid exemption. Applicants applying for positions at our organization will also be required to present proof of vaccination status during the application process, whether they will be working in the office or remotely. This policy is in place to ensure the health and safety of our entire workforce and the communities we serve.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.