Zero Emissions Campaign Coordinator
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking Zero Emissions Campaign Coordinator to work in our Montclair, Long Branch or Newark offices on health and environmental issues related to port commerce and warehousing, as well as advance zero emission policies and mandates in already overburdened communities. Clean Water Action is a 501(c)(4) national organization with more than 150,000 Garden State members that works for clean, safe affordable water, prevention of climate and health threatening pollution from trash and toxics, creation of green jobs and empowering people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization providing education, organizing and technical assistance to strengthen grassroots environmental efforts.
We are looking for an experienced organizer who knows how to plan and implement community engagement strategies that recruit and empower residents to win issue campaigns and make a real difference in people’s lives. Applicants must have a passion for organizing around clean air, water and environmental justice issues. Clean Water Action’s local organizing campaigns are focused on work in communities of color and lower income neighborhoods, and experience in these communities will be highly preferred.
The position will involve coordinating and organizing state and local campaigns for clean air, good jobs and healthy communities for nearby ports and good movement throughout the Garden State. The primary responsibility of this position will be to work with community and residents in low-income communities of color. The position will have the additional responsibility of working with our Environmental Justice (EJ) partners to help build political power to address disproportionate threats from goods movement – from ports, trucks and warehouses, to last mile delivery - with the principle remedy being zero emissions trucks, corridors and zones.
- Coordinate community outreach initiatives, cultivate local leaders, develop and implement campaign focused on zero emissions and diesel;
- Organize residents within regional EJ communities to identify diesel, warehouse and port related threats affecting them and pressure policymakers to more towards zero emissions in goods movement faster and more aggressively;
- Work with community partners to advance our shared strategies;
- Make public presentations, create outreach materials and organize events;
- Work in collaboration with CWA's partners;
- Coordinate media outreach and on-line social media mobilizations;
- Help with local fundraising activities;
- Support Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses with briefings, trainings and materials;
- Carry out other activities as directed by supervisor.
- Minimum of 2 years of organizing or community/neighborhood-based campaign experience;
- Strong oral, computer and written communication skills; experience preparing and delivering public presentations;
- Cultural competence, a commitment to racial justice and demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities. Experience working in low-income and communities of color preferred;
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in fast paced, dynamic work environment;
- Strong critical thinking skills; computer skills; well-organized and self-motivated;
- Available for occasional evenings and weekends;
- Knowledge of field and phone canvasses helpful;
- Fluent in non-English language helpful.
TO APPLY: Send your resume to Amy Goldsmith, NJ State Director, Clean Water Action by email to email@example.com. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.