Western Pennsylvania Organizing Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced Western PA Organizing Director to work in our Pittsburgh office. The Western PA Organizing Director’s job is to coordinate community outreach and organizing efforts for local and state campaigns in Pittsburgh and southwest PA on health-related environmental issues. We are looking for an experienced organizer who knows how to plan and implement community engagement strategies that recruit residents and empower people to take actions that win issue campaigns and make a real difference in people’s lives. Applicants must have a passion for organizing around issues of clean air, clean water, and environmental justice. Clean Water Action’s local organizing campaigns are focused on work in communities of color and lower income neighborhoods, and experience in these communities will be highly preferred.
Clean Water Action (CWA) is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environ¬ment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
This position will involve coordinating and organizing local campaigns for clean water and clean air in western Pennsylvania, and to assist with CWA’s state and national campaigns. Current local campaigns consist of efforts to address lead contamination in drinking water supplies in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, and working with residents living near large air pollution sources in the Mon Valley. The main focus of CWA’s state campaigns is to stop fracking/gas production from putting our climate at risk, protecting children state-wide from lead exposure, and working for a state environmental justice policy that protects communities of color from excessive pollution. At the national level, CWA is focused on restoring clean water protections that the Trump Administration removed, and to ensure major federal action to address climate change. Clean Water Action works at the federal, state, and local levels to elect pro-environment candidates.
• Organize community-based campaigns for clean air, clean water, and environmental justice in western PA, helping residents address pollution problems that threaten their health;
• Coordinate organizing in western PA on CWA’s national and state campaigns to protect water resources and work for action on climate change;
• Coordinate voter education efforts on environmental issues, and through Clean Water Action, help elect pro-environment candidates;
• Assist with media and public relations activities in western Pennsylvania;
• Assist in lobbying and other communication with legislators and agency staff;
• Assist with local fundraising activities, including events, individual donor work, and grant fundraising;
• Assist in staff hiring, training, supervision and development in the Pittsburgh office;
• Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses.
- Several years experience in issue organizing and/or electoral campaigns;
- Must have experience in planning and implementing campaign and community engagement strategies. Be prepared to tell us about your past wins;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working in communities of color and lower income communities highly preferred;
- Experience with canvass programs and/or environmental issues desirable;
- Fundraising experience and experience supervising staff preferred.
Send your resume to Myron Arnowitt, Pennsylvania Director, Clean Water Action, 100 Fifth Ave., #1108, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be taken until position is filled. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.