Western Pennsylvania Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking an experienced Western PA Director to work in our Pittsburgh office. The Western PA Director’s job is to coordinate local and state campaigns in Pittsburgh and southwest PA on health related environmental issues. We are looking for an experienced organizer who knows how to direct and win issue campaigns that make a real difference in people’s lives. Applicants must have a passion for organizing around environmental issues, motivating volunteers and staff, and the ability to build effective coalitions.
Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Fund is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
This position will involve coordinating and organizing local campaigns for clean water and a healthy environment in western Pennsylvania, and to assist with Clean Water's state and national campaigns. Current local campaigns consist of efforts to address lead contamination in Pittsburgh’s drinking water, working with residents living near large air pollution sources, and working to stop the continuing development of fracking operations in the Pittsburgh area. The main focus of Clean Water’s state campaigns is to stop fossil fuel production (natural gas/fracking, oil, coal) from contaminating our water resources and putting our climate at risk. In addition, we are working to ensure residents state-wide are protected from lead contamination in drinking water. At the national level, Clean Water Action is focused on defending our federal environmental protections from attacks by the Trump Administration and Congress. Clean Water Action works at the federal, state, and local levels to elect pro-environment candidates.
- Organize community-based campaigns for clean air and water in western PA, helping residents address pollution problems that threaten their health.
- Coordinate organizing in western PA on Clean Water’s national and state campaigns to protect water resources, mobilizing the public to demand strong standards and to protect the sources of our drinking water.
- Coordinate voter education efforts on environmental issues, and through Clean Water Action, help elect pro-environment candidates.
- Coordinate media and public relations activities in western Pennsylvania.
- Assist in lobbying and other communication with legislators and agency staff.
- Assist with local fundraising activities, including events, individual donor work, and grant fundraising.
- Assist in staff hiring, training, supervision and development in the Pittsburgh office.
- Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses.
- Several years experience in issue organizing and/or electoral campaigns. Must have experience in planning and implementing campaign strategies. Be prepared to tell us about your past wins.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with canvass programs and/or environmental issues desirable.
- Fundraising experience and experience supervising staff preferred.
Send your resume to Myron Arnowitt, Pennsylvania Director, Clean Water Action, 100 Fifth Ave., #1108, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 or email to marnowitt(at)cleanwater(.)org. Application taken until position filled. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund values a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.