Texas State Director
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a State Director to oversee our programs in Texas. Clean Water Action (CWA) works for clean, safe, affordable water, prevention of health-threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and businesses, and empowering people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund (CWF) is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues relating to water, waste, and toxics.
Clean Water’s campaigns in Texas focus on conserving and protecting water resources through Green Infrastructure solutions and water reuse and recycling strategies; protecting water resources from contamination and degradation; reducing damage to the environment and public health from oil and gas production; safeguarding public health by reducing the use of toxic chemicals in industrial processes and consumer products; promoting democracy and opposing voter suppression efforts, and electing pro-environment candidates to office at the local and state levels.
Overall responsibility for leading and developing Clean Water’s work in Texas, including the following:
- Develop and oversee campaigns at the local and state levels in Texas, including legislative and electoral campaigns, coalition building, research/policy development and public education.
- Assist in implementing national campaigns in Texas particularly protecting the federal Clean Water Act.
- Develop and implement fundraising plans in conjunction with national staff, raising funds from foundations, individual donors, events and other sources.
- Hire, train and supervise program staff.
- Provide programmatic direction and support for field and phone canvass programs. Work in partnership with canvass leadership to build strong canvass programs.
- Support Clean Water’s efforts to become an anti-racist organization and expand our work with BIPOC communities.
- Represent Clean Water in work with other organizations, public officials, funders and the media.
- Regular travel throughout Texas and to occasional national gatherings required.
- Five years’ experience in issue and campaign organizing. Environmental experience preferred though not required. Experience with grassroots and coalition organizing and campaigns is desirable, as is experience with electoral campaigns.
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity and experience working with diverse communities and staff
- Multilingual candidates fluent in Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Successful fundraising experience with foundations, individual donors and events.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership to build the organization and its programs.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, supporting and developing staff and volunteers, including people located in different cities.
- Experience developing and working with leadership bodies such as boards of directors, campaign or coalition steering committees;
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, computer literacy, ability to multi-task in dynamic work environment.
- Experience with professional field and phone canvass programs is highly desirable.
Email a letter of interest and resume to TXDirectorSearch@cleanwater.org. Interested internal candidates, please contact your supervisor. Multilingual candidates fluent in Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.