Spring 2019 Policy and Communications Internship
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a Spring 2019 Policy and Communications Internship in the Rhode Island office of Clean Water Action.
Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that works to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them.
Our priorities include: preventing harm to our health from toxic chemicals, reducing water pollution through policy and effective stormwater management, reducing trash and plastic pollution through source reduction, working to slow climate change, and electing pro-environment candidates to public office. Ensuring that those most affected by environmental degradation have a voice at the table, and that solutions to environmental problems contribute to broader goals of justice for all, are central aspects of all our campaigns.
This internship will focus mainly on CWA's policy work during Rhode Island’s legislative session as well as assisting with program communications work. It may also include time working on issue campaigns.
Responsibilities will be assigned based on experience, skills, and interest as well as campaign needs. Tasks may include:
- Helping with member outreach related to Clean Water Action's legislative work
- Assisting with the compilation and tracking of daily legislative introductions
- Helping to author written legislative testimony
- Writing and/or posting content for website articles, blog posts, email communications, etc.
- Helping to manage social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Conducting research on current news items and social media trends to inform communications activities
- Assisting to amplify national communications efforts and/or campaigns
- Researching campaign issues and being able to effectively communicate findings
- Administrative tasks as needed.
Minimum of 16 hours per week commitment through the end of the Spring 2019 semester, or longer, required.
Clean Water Action strongly encourages people of color, LQBTIQ people, women, and those from historically economically disadvantaged communities to apply.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. Clean Water Action is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Passion for protecting human health and the environment
- Familiarity with national, state, and local election processes
- Good communication skills
- Solid computer skills (competent in working with Word, Excel, Internet, etc.);
- Familiar with basic social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook
- Well organized
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Good writing skills a necessity
Familiarity with campaign organizing in a variety of racial and socioeconomic communities, and/or communications is highly desired. Interns must be able to travel to Clean Water Action’s Providence office located at 60 Valley Street, Providence.
Send resume and a brief statement of your interest in organizing for the environment to Johnathan Berard at email@example.com. Please put: "Spring 2019 Policy and Communications Internship" as the email subject.