Clean Water Action is a national organization dedicated to ensuring clean, safe, and affordable water. They work to prevent pollution that threatens public health, promote eco-friendly jobs and businesses, and empower citizens to participate in democratic processes. Clean Water Fund, their grassroots counterpart, mobilizes communities to safeguard the environment, health, and overall quality of life. Alarmingly, US food service businesses use nearly 1 trillion disposable food ware pieces annually, with approximately 70% of ocean-bound litter originating from food and beverage packaging. This waste disproportionately affects marginalized communities, primarily low-income communities of color. Without intervention, the amount of plastic flowing into oceans could triple by 2040, highlighting the urgency of addressing this issue.
Clean Water is hiring a Senior Zero Waste Specialist for our award-winning ReThink Disposable program. This initiative combats the global waste crisis by partnering directly with food operators, implementing cost-saving changes in operations. ReThink Disposable, the nation's leading source reduction program, targets all single-use food and beverage packaging, not just plastic. In this role, you'll engage with businesses, institutions, and local governments in the San Francisco Bay Area, customizing and delivering sustainable foodware. We need candidates experienced in outreach to food service establishments, highly organized, and capable of managing multiple tasks independently. Join us and help drive impactful change in waste reduction and sustainability.
This position involves fieldwork for three days a week, providing the flexibility to manage your own schedule and tasks. Join our growing ReThink Disposable team and contribute to our mission in making substantial strides toward waste reduction and sustainability.
- Conduct field outreach and recruit businesses to switch to reusable foodware, with a focus on engaging businesses owned and managed by black, indigenous, people of color, women, and/or non-English speaking monolingual individuals to participate in ReThink Disposable program.
- Support ReThink Program Director in contract fulfillment and data processing.
- Meet targets for business recruitment for conversion to reusable food ware.
- Participate in team meetings to plan, coordinate, and implement the ReThink Disposable program.
- Train new ReThink Zero Waste Specialists.
- Track restaurant conversions.
- Generate quarterly and monthly reports.
- Foster existing and new partnerships with zero-waste and community-based organizations to further the mission of the program in a collaborative fashion by requesting, hosting, and facilitating meetings with allies.
- Perform other duties as directed by Supervisor.
- Able to communicate effectively with businesses and the public.
- Experience in canvassing, direct sales or food service outreach.
- Writing skills needed in order to share stories of program impact.
- Prior experience training staff.
- Experience using data management tools (Google Sheets, Recyclist, Salesforce);
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- The ability to lift up to 25lbs and transport of materials will be required.
- Familiarity with local zero waste policy (e.g., local ordinances)
- Passion for racial equity and environmental justice.
- Basic knowledge of water, waste, climate change, marine debris and plastics pollution.
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is preferred but not required.
- Having your own personal vehicle is preferred but not required (travel reimbursements provided).
- Encouraging applications from diverse backgrounds: We welcome candidates from multicultural and BIPOC communities to apply and contribute to our inclusive work environment.
Email letter of interest and resume to ZeroWasteapp@cleanwater.org. Internal candidates must apply and should speak with their supervisor first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund have implemented a policy mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all individuals working within our offices, as well as for those working remotely. As a condition of employment, all employees, regardless of their work location, are required to be vaccinated, or they must provide proof of a valid exemption. Applicants applying for positions at our organization will also be required to present proof of vaccination status during the application process, whether they will be working in the office or remotely. This policy is in place to ensure the health and safety of our entire workforce and the communities we serve.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.