ReThink Disposable Business engagement Specialist
Clean Water Action is a national organization working for clean, safe and affordable water, prevention of health-threatening pollution, creation of environmentally-safe jobs and businesses, and empowering people to make democracy work. Clean Water Fund organizes strong grassroots coalitions and campaigns to protect our environment, health, economic well-being and quality of life.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are looking for an energetic Business Engagement Specialist to lead recruitment of food service businesses (from “mom and pop” to large institutions) to meet ReThink Disposable’s mission – disrupt the food service system that relies on single-use disposable food and beverage packaging. ReThink Disposable is a data-driven waste reduction program that works with governments, businesses and institutions, and consumers to prioritize circular reuse-centric food service to conserve resources, prevent waste and ocean litter pollution.
The Engagement Specialist will be in charge of face-to face outreach with local restaurants and institutions to convince business owners to replace disposable foodware with reusable alternatives for dine-in and take-out. This job requires an individual with that special knack of persuasion that will help convince businesses to fundamentally change their practices. We’re looking for someone who is professional, pleasantly persistent, has excellent communications skills, makes friends fast, and thrives on helping people be more planet-forward. Past experience in canvassing is very useful, as this job requires extensive cold-calling on prospective ReThink Disposable businesses. Since this work is mostly in the field (3 days per week at least), the individual will be expected to schedule their own days, optimizing routes to reach as many businesses as possible each day, and be okay with working alone and self-motivating.
The Business Engagement Specialist will also be expected, with the assistance of the ReThink Program Director, to identify reusable solutions, sometimes for very specific client needs. This requires a creative individual who can think beyond typical foodware choices. Our work is based on relationship building, so having the ability to connect to people quickly is absolutely essential during business engagement, but also in our collaborative efforts with other non-governmental partners, municipalities, businesses, and individuals in our circular economy community.
Primary duties include:
- Conduct field outreach and recruit businesses to participate in ReThink Disposable program;
- Observe business operations and make recommendations for source reduction, offer technical assistance to participants; track and record results pre and post intervention, conduct analysis of waste reduction and cost savings to business as a result of program implementation;
- Assist with ReThink Disposable internal/external communications needs such as program promotion, marketing, and sharing business accomplishments;
- Meet targets for recruiting business participants on time and with significant results;
- Participate in meetings to plan and implement ReThink Disposable program;
- Perform other duties as directed by Supervisors.
- Able to communicate effectively with businesses and the public (canvass experience a plus);
- Writing skills needed in order to share stories of program impact;
- Fluency in a language in addition to English (preference for Chinese or Spanish) a plus;
- Knowledge of water, waste, marine debris and plastics pollution a plus;
- Experience in food service industry;
- Must be very organized, detail-oriented, able to work independently, meet deadlines and complete assignments on time while juggling multiple projects and tasks;
- Must have valid driver’s license and be willing to drive throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some lifting and transporting of materials will be required.
- Having your own personal vehicle is a plus.
Email letter of interest and resume to ReThinkDisposable@cleanwater.org. Internal candidates should talk with their supervisor first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.