Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a New Jersey Environmental Justice (EJ) Organizer to plan and implement community mobilization strategies that enable residents to build their own political power.
In this way, people can achieve community-driven solutions to environmental injustices, create healthy neighborhoods and make a real difference in people’s lives. State and local EJ campaigns will focus on the cumulative and disproportionate threats and adverse impacts from pollution, energy, goods movement, and climate change.
Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization with 150,000 members in the Garden State. The organization seeks to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems affecting them. Clean Water Action works at the federal, state, and local levels to elect pro-environment candidates. Clean Water Fund is a national research and education organization which promotes the public interest on issues related to water, waste, and toxics.
- Work with community partners to identify environmental threats (e.g. dirty diesel trucks, pollution, siting harmful facilities, lack of enforcement, lead service lines) affecting them, potential solutions and strategies to address their priorities. Utilize new state EJ law and regulations where possible.
- Build a network and data base of EJ leaders and organizations throughout the state. Develop ongoing relationships that enlarge Clean Water Action’s family of EJ voices and leaders both internal and external.
- Develop toolbox of EJ policies, practices and leadership trainings that can serve as models at the local and state levels.
- Conduct community outreach and education programs specific to EJ issues, remedies or policies sought.
- Help coordinate media (traditional and social platforms) and event outreach activities related to campaigns.
- Help with fundraising and other activities including voter education/mobilization drives as requested by their supervisor.
- Provide support for Clean Water Action’s field and phone canvasses as needed.
- Successful community organizing experience (paid or as a volunteer), preferably on environmental and/or social justice campaigns and in low-income and communities of color.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Cultural competence, passion and commitment to racial justice and equity.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience preparing and delivering presentations.
- Well-organized, ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in fast paced, dynamic work environment
- Strong research and critical thinking skills.
- Computer and social media skills include Word, Excel, databases, Facebook, zoom, etc. Youth and community-oriented approaches on social media helpful.
- Must be available for evenings and weekends as needed to fulfill the requirements of the position. Must have personal transportation.
- Knowledge of field and phone canvassing techniques helpful.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Email your resume to Amy Goldsmith, New Jersey State Director, Clean Water Action at email@example.com. Internal candidates should contact their supervisors first.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund require COVID-19 vaccinations for all positions that will work in our offices or travel in our vehicles. Proof of vaccination will be required for applicants for this position.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.