Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are seeking a State Director to oversee our programs in Michigan. Clean Water Action is a national, grassroots environmental organization that works to protect the environment and safeguard public health, promote passage of strong environmental laws, and help communities address local environmental problems. Clean Water Action has nearly one million members nationally. Clean Water Fund provides research, education, organization, and technical assistance to strengthen grassroots environmental efforts around the country, promoting the public interest on issues related to water, natural resources, health, and a clean economy. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund work together on selected campaigns and programs.
Join Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund as our State Director, overseeing impactful programs in Michigan. Take charge of developing and executing local and state campaigns, driving legislative and electoral efforts, coalition building, research, policy development, and public education. Protect the federal Clean Water Act by actively supporting national campaigns in Michigan. Direct and support field and phone canvass programs, collaborating with canvass leadership to build robust and resilient programs. Join our commitment to anti-racism, expanding our work with BIPOC leaders and communities. Represent Clean Water in critical engagements with organizations, public officials, funders, and the media. Expect regular travel across Michigan and occasional participation in national gatherings.
- Develop and oversee campaigns at the local and state levels in Michigan, including legislative and electoral campaigns, coalition building, research/policy development, and public education.
- Assist in the implementation of national campaigns in Michigan, particularly protecting the federal Clean Water Act.
- Develop and implement fundraising plans, raising funds from foundations, individual donors, events, and other sources.
- Hire, train and supervise program staff, administrative staff, and contractors.
- Provide programmatic direction and support for field and phone canvass programs. Work in partnership with canvass leadership to build and maintain strong canvass programs.
- Support Clean Water’s efforts to become an anti-racist organization and expand our work with BIPOC leaders and within BIPOC communities.
- Represent Clean Water in work with other organizations, public officials, funders, and the media.
- Regular travel throughout Michigan and occasional national gatherings are required.
- Five to seven years of experience in campaign organizing. Non-profit and/or environmental experience preferred though not required. Experience with electoral campaigns, lobbying, research, policy, and coalition organizing is desirable.
- Cultural competence, commitment to racial justice and equity, and experience working with diverse communities and staff are required.
- Successful fundraising experience with foundations, individual donors, and events.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership to build the organization and its programs.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, supporting, and developing staff and volunteers, including people working remotely.
- Experience developing and working with leadership bodies such as boards of directors, campaign or coalition steering committees.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; computer literacy, ability to multi-task in dynamic work environment.
- Experience with professional field and phone canvass programs is highly desirable.
- Multilingual and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email a letter of interest and resume to Cindy Luppi at firstname.lastname@example.org Interested internal candidates, please contact your supervisor.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund have implemented a policy mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all individuals working within our offices, as well as for those working remotely. As a condition of employment, all employees, regardless of their work location, are required to be vaccinated, or they must provide proof of a valid exemption. Applicants applying for positions at our organization will also be required to present proof of vaccination status during the application process, whether they will be working in the office or remotely. This policy is in place to ensure the health and safety of our entire workforce and the communities we serve.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.