Canvass Director | Montclair NJ
Clean Water Action works to empower people to take action to protect America's waters, build healthy communities, and make democracy work for all of us. For nearly 50 years, Clean Water Action has succeeded in winning some of the nation's most important environmental protections through grassroots organizing, expert policy research, and political advocacy to hold elected officials accountable to the public. We believe that those most affected by environmental degradation should be at the table and that protecting our water and combating climate change contribute to broader goals of justice for the most vulnerable among us.
In order to be an effective ally and partner in environmental justice work, Clean Water Action is engaged in a broad effort to become an anti-racist organization by identifying and removing structures and policies that contribute to white supremacy. We are building a culture that allows all people to thrive and grow within the organization. It is through this effort that our staff can resemble the communities in which we organize. Furthermore, a diverse staff will result in more varied, effective ideas and approaches to our campaign objectives, strategy, and tactics.
Field director positions to lead our grassroots outreach teams are available in Pittsburgh, PA and Montclair, NJ. Note the Pittsburgh assignment is for a non-fundraising election based canvass.
About the Role:
As a Field Director, you will be in charge of recruiting, training and developing the next group of environmental advocates. You will lead the outreach team to success by cultivating a positive, inclusive, and politically charged atmosphere.
• Recruitment: Build a team of highly trained canvassers. Work with a recruitment team to develop and implement recruitment plans. Interview prospective staff and make hiring decisions.
• Staff Management: Cultivate key skills such as canvassing and fundraising to foster future leaders. Work with your staff in individual and group settings and create a welcoming and motivating atmosphere.
• Canvassing: Canvass in the field for one to four days per week.
• Administration: Track income and expenses. Manage the budget for your office. Process staff payroll. Maintain records for future organizing efforts.
Training and Development:
Newly hired directors will typically spend four to six months doing field training, learning our fundraising model, and working intensely alongside experienced directors. Additionally, directors receive support from regional management staff throughout their time on staff.
After one year in the position, staff will have learned how to run a successful grassroots campaign, including, but not limited to, fundraising and donor recruitment, campaign communications, and hiring and supervising staff. This position is well suited for anyone looking to improve their staff management and political organizing skills. Canvass Directors are leaders in the organization and, as such, will be part of the National Management Team and strategic planning groups that help determine the direction of the organization.
*Effective October 22, 2021, Clean Water Action requires vaccination for positions that must work in our offices or travel in our vehicles, including the Canvass Director position. Proof of vaccination will be required.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
• You are an experienced canvasser who excels as a leader and manager—one to two years of management experience.
• You are passionate about social justice and able to communicate this passion to others.
• You are able to work independently and in teams, and you are goal-oriented.
• You understand the importance of the anti-racist movement and are willing to learn more and teach others about cultural competency.
• You are expecting to work between 40-50 hours per week.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject line. Internal candidates should first contact their supervisor.