Toxic chemicals surround us—in our air, water, homes, and workplaces. Many chemicals used in everyday products, like plastics, cosmetics, body care products, toys and furniture, increase the risk of serious illnesses. Clean Water Action is working to reduce the use of and exposure to toxic chemicals in our homes, workplaces and communities. This includes:
- Banning toxic flame retardants from upholstered furniture, children’s products, mattresses, bedding and window treatments.
- Banning toxic PFAS chemicals from food packaging and protecting people from PFAS contamination in drinking water.
- Pressing supermarkets and big box retailers to get toxic products off their store shelves.
- Requiring companies to disclose to the state if they add toxic chemicals to children’s products, personal care items, or cleaners sold in Massachusetts.
- Ensuring that Massachusetts addresses the risks associated with the emerging nanotechnology sector.