Electing Environmental Champions: Our Endorsements in the Pennsylvania Democratic Primary
Vote on April 26th for candidates who will protect our environment!
In a campaign cycle dominated by presidential politics, I wanted to bring your attention to a few great environmental candidates in Pennsylvania who received our endorsement in the Democratic Primary: Josh Shapiro for Pennsylvania Attorney General; Steve Santarsiero for Congress, District 8; Marty Molloy for State Senate, District 9; and Ed Gainey for State House, District 24. Josh Shapiro has a long history of standing up for the environment:
- As a State Representative, he supported pro-environmental legislation that provided money for clean up of rivers and streams and protecting natural areas.
- Under his leadership as Montgomery County Commissioner, public investment in parks and trails doubled, protection of open spaces increased, energy consumption was cut in county buildings, and a comprehensive stormwater management plan was put in place.
- Josh has pledged to get tough on frackers as Pennsylvania Attorney General, and hold them accountable when they break the law.
Steve Santarsiero got involved in politics by leading neighbors in a fight to protect open space. As a local official he helped pass EPA award-winning ordinances that protect waterways from development, and as state legislator he fought fracking in our state forests and introduced legislation to cut carbon emissions. If elected to Congress, Steve will:
- push for renewable energy sources
- ensure we have necessary safeguards in place to keep our air and water clean.
- support policies to prevent health and environmental impacts from natural gas drilling activities by working to close loopholes within existing federal laws.
Marty Molloy has dedicated the majority of his career to education and workforce development opportunities with youth in Philadelphia. He will take his experience building strong, effective partnerships and relationships with individuals, institutions and organizations to the Senate. If elected, Marty will:
- support investments in renewable energy.
- fight for energy credit programs, like local Solarize Greater Media, to help businesses thrive.
- oppose buildingpipelines through our green and open spaces.
Ed Gainey has a perfect voting record on important environmental legislation. This includes:
- supporting improved energy efficiency standards for state owned buildings
- opposing efforts to open our state parks and forests for fracking.
- providing state support for local efforts to fix our region’s sewage overflow problem by investing in green infrastructure.
In Pennsylvania, we need strong environmental advocates at all levels of government. It’s why we’ve endorsed Josh Shapiro for Pennsylvania Attorney General, Steve Santarsiero for Congress, Marty Molloy for State Senate, and Ed Gainey for State House in the Democratic Primary and why we hope you’ll vote for them on Tuesday, April 26th. Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26. You must be registered as a Democrat to vote for these candidates in the Democratic primary. Find your polling location here. Paid for and authorized by Clean Water Action.